Monday, November 10, 2008

Getting to know the israeli Bedouins

One of the most interesting and special days of my trip so far was going to a REAL bedouin village. Unlike on my last trip to israel where my "visit" included real showers and a camel ride this trip was to observe the life of another culture. After a morning lecture by a man named Clinton Bailey, an advocate and activist on behalf of Bedouin civil rights in israel, the group took a half hour bus ride to see a Bedouin tribe. 

We began the visit with a trip to their school. One of the things I was most surprised by was that the boys and girls sat on different sides of the room. As well, all of the girls wore head coverings all though none were older then 10 years old. We later learned that it was a very new and very special thing that there were  girls in the classroom. Up untill 2004 the school was only allowed for boys and girls were not encouraged to learn. Secondly, Clinton explained that the separation between the sexes was supposed to prevent the students from both distraction and any possible inappropriate behavior. 

PICTURES OF THIS WILL BE UP SOON BUT THERE ARE SOME INTERNET PROBLEMS RIGHT NOW! 
As I looked around the walls of the classroom I saw that three of  the walls had posters in different languages. The first was arabic the second hebrew and the third english. Truly I was in utter shock that  while I spent 95% of my school day in english that these young Bedouin children were learning THREE languages! 
The only thing that really upset me about the school was the way the teacher interacted with the children. Unlike in America where a teacher would NEVER hurt a child, in the bedouin school the teacher not only carries a stick but is encouraged by the principal to smack the children. Believing in the philosophy that a child only learns through punishment. 

After spending time with the children in doors the group moved outside to play on the jungle gym during recess. Although I hadn't learned much arabic at the time being able to say Hello, what's your name and how are you? let me really feel as though I was making some connections with the children. As I ran around laughing and playing I realized that these kids are just like any other. Yes, they may live a very different life than an American, European or even Israeli kid but they still loved to run around and play with there friends. Truly, I love these moments because these are the times I realize just how similar we all really are. 

After recess, the group got back on the bus to travel the mile and half to the villages homes. Although to many of us these "houses" looked like pieces of metal scrapped together with string each home had simple mats for sleeping and a rug, representing the communal area. Although we weren't allowed to see much of the village up close we were taken to the "guest house" which looked similar to all the other houses minus the beds. 

In the guest house, were greeted with Bedouin hospitality. In the Bedouin culture the guest is always showered with attention, food, drink and is more respected than anyone else in the community. While sitting we were given a delicious mint tea out of small glasses and delicious bread which, as Clinton explained is almost exactly similar to the matzoh the Jews ate while escaping from egypt. As I joked with my friend, if all matzoh tasted this good more people would keep passover! 

Secondly, while in the house we never had any direct contact with the Bedouin people. Because of there respect for guests (meaning they will never ask a guest a personal question) and the language barrier Clinton answered all of our questions.

Nevertheless, knowing me and my love of water I had to use the bathroom. So unlike the rest of my group a friend and I went with our arabic teacher to the woman's bathroom on the other side of the village.  Although it sounds kind of silly, having the opportunity to see more of the village and use the bathroom gave me a really great insight into the Bedouins. While waiting for my friend to use the "bathroom" which actually ended being a hole in the ground I played with some little children and used are arabic teacher, Amal to ask some Bedouin women a few simple questions.
Truly it was an incredible experience.


After returning to the group and after saying goodbye and thank you we returned back to our Kibbutz of the night. I can for sure say now that although I would have loved to spend more time with the Bedouins I really got a better appreciation for who they are and there way of life.  

No comments: